:h: Welcome
to Team Law’s Forum!

With the return of our Trustee, we restarted our morning conference calls on: June 12, 2017.
Our new Free Conference Call schedule is every: Monday, Wednesday & Friday morning from:
8:00 – 9:00 AM (Mountain Time).

Call: (857) 232-0158; use the Conference Access Code: 110045.

Join us on, and invite your friends to, our next Conference Call!

Use this Forum to contact Team Law;
use this link for more: contact information.

We hope this information is helpful to you.
Tell everybody about Team Law! :t^:

STRf Public Land Survey systm not in my state..

The mystery of Land Patents unveiled.

Moderators: Tnias, Jus

ReaderVSOP
Registered

STRf Public Land Survey systm not in my state..

Postby ReaderVSOP » Wednesday February 22nd, 2012 6:40 pm MST

I live in the state of New York. My Deed's property description is in the Section, Block and Lot, STATE PLANE GRID SYSTEM not STRf. The STRf format is derived from the Public Land Survey system which New York state does not utilize. Can I leave the deed as is for the BLM? So if my state does not use the STRf Public Land Survey system, what to do next.
Does anyone come from New York state and have run into the same situation?
Thanks. :?:

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STRf Public Land Survey systm not in my state..

Postby Admin » Saturday February 25th, 2012 9:38 am MST

:h: ReaderVSOP:
The BLM has almost nothing to do with land in any of the original 13 states; thus, contacting them will likely be fruitless.
However, in Steps to secure a Land Patent we show how we handle land descriptions in the original 13 states:
Where, at: “Second”, we wrote:In the original 13 states, land descriptions are usually made by describing landmarks and ‘metes and bounds’, which is where a description starts at a known point then describes how far to go in each direction until the body of the land is described. If your land records describe your land in ‘meets and bounds’, you’ll need to be able to prove the land described on your Deed is within the land described on the respective land patent—that can be done with certified official Plat Map(s) or you can contact a Certified Surveyor familiar with creating official plat maps.

If you need further assistance with such descriptions, you can call our fulfillment office.

Team Law,

"In memory of our God, our faith, and freedom,
and of our spouses, our children, and our peace.
"

As with all Forum posts, comments made by Admin are:
copyrighted—all rights reserved; and, provided here for educational purposes only.

ReaderVSOP
Registered

Postby ReaderVSOP » Tuesday February 28th, 2012 2:45 pm MST

I called my local surveyor requesting my property description be converted to STRf. He informed me that I am not able to get my survey in the STRf because it is not possible in New York State as this state only uses M&B system. Also all the land patents/maps for NY are in various recording offices in New York state and none are at the BLM. The surveyor said that the original 13 colonies, now states, currently utilize section, block and lot descriptions are still recorded in metes and bounds just not in the archaic language. I have 112 years of certified copies of all deeds up to 1900. If the surveyor cannot covert M&B to STRf and the BLM does not have the original patents, what is the procedure for processing M&B deeds and obtaining the abstract of title for my land?
Thank You, ReaderVSOP

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tuesday February 28th, 2012 10:47 pm MST

:h: ReaderVSOP:
We do not understand why you would contact a surveyor and ask them to put your land description into STRformat. Our description of the process (referenced in our prior response) should have made that clear. That is not possible! As we already stated, all of the land in the original 13 states are defined by metes and bounds. Thus, you have to find the original land patent and get the land description from that instrument, then you have to show that your land is within that patents land description. If you cannot find plat maps to prove that you will need to have a surveyor plat the those land descriptions. Most of the original land patents are directly referenced on the State official “strip maps”. Thus, those may provide you a clue.

However, this is a personal matter and accordingly it should be discussed in a private message to Admin instead of on the Open Forum.

Team Law,

"In memory of our God, our faith, and freedom,
and of our spouses, our children, and our peace.
"

As with all Forum posts, comments made by Admin are:
copyrighted—all rights reserved; and, provided here for educational purposes only.

Return to “Land Patents”